January 09, 2009

Hang the DJ

It's been quite a few years since I was a DJ. When I say "I was a DJ" of course I mean: sometimes I, a total amateur, tried to get some people dancing at a party. Like most people spinning the records at such occasions I had a love/hate relationship with my self-imposed responsibility to get the evening going. Frustration about the (lack of) taste and knowledge of the people attending always mixed with an absolutely unique feeling of excitement and happiness when the whole room was jumping to 'your' songs.

When I recently heard Dent May's foot-stomper You can't force a dance party for the first time, I had to smile. I'm glad I don't have to worry about such things anymore. At the same time, I can't help but feel nostalgic about a time when such things were worth worrying about. To be honest, I think I would still love doing this, once a year. Because that feeling... I've never been able to recreate that any other way.

And if for no other reason, then to prove that you can actually dance to the sound of a ukelele.

Download (Mediafire)
1. Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele - You can't force a dance party

No comments: